50+ First Dance Songs to Pump Up the Wedding Reception (2020)
For a couple, the first dance is one of the most romantic, magical, and unforgettable gestures at their wedding. Therefore, we understand the importance of a first dance song that perfectly complements the emotionally-charged moment.
But the task of choosing a single best song out of the variety of wedding songs can be extremely overwhelming. To help you decide, here is a list of first dance songs that will be perfect for the first dance at your wedding!
What Does the First Dance at a Wedding Mean?
Traditionally, the first dance of a newlywed couple was initiated by the groom who would steal his bride and dance with her to celebrate the union of the couple. Over time, it was considered to be the official beginning of the dance at the wedding reception after which the guests joined in as well.
This tradition continues to be a popular element at American and European wedding receptions and represents the commitment of the couple to their vows, signifies their acceptance of each other, and demonstrates love and companionship.
Perfect Songs for Wedding First Dance
Remember that the choice of the best wedding first dance song reflects how you want your wedding to be. And guess what? Whether you like classics or upbeat music, you will find the perfect one for you in our list of 55 best first dance songs.
Classic First Dance Songs
If you and your fiancé are old souls, classic first dance songs will genuinely reflect your personality. The best classic songs that promise to evoke the raw emotion of love are:
- Louis Armstrong – What A Wonderful World
- Elvis Presley – Can’t Help Falling In Love With You
- Nat King Cole – L-O-V-E
- Louis Armstrong – La Vie en Rose
- Frankie Valli and The 4 Seasons – Can’t Take My Eyes off You
- The Righteous Brothers – Unchained Melody
- Moulin Rouge – Come What May
- Frank Sinatra – Fly Me to The Moon
- Sam Cooke – Nothing Can Change This Love
- The Carpenters – Close To You
- The Carpenters – We’ve Only Just Begun
Unique First Dance Songs
If you are fed up of listening to the same first dance songs at every wedding and want to choose a unique one for your wedding, consider one of the following songs below.
- Annie Lennox – I Put A Spell On You
- Ben Rector – Forever Like That
- Lawson – Where My Love Goes
- Gryffin ft. Maia Wright – Body Back
- Lauv – Paris in the Rain
- Sigala & Paloma Faith – Lullaby (Acoustic)
- Arctic Monkeys – Baby I’m Yours
- Queen – You’re My Best Friend
- Hozier – Like Real People Do
- Sleeping At Last – I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) (Cover)
- Ben Folds – The Luckiest
- Never Enough (The Greatest Showman Original Soundtrack)
Romantic Songs for First Dance
Weddings are all about love and you just can’t go wrong with romantic songs for your first dance! The following are some of the greatest romantic songs of all time that will fill the room with sentiments and love.
- John Legend – Conversations in the Dark
- James Blunt – You’re Beautiful
- Christina Perri – A Thousand Years
- Christina Perri ft. Steve Kazee – A Thousand Years, Pt. 2
- Shane Filan – Beautiful in White
- James Arthur – Falling Like The Stars
- Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé – Perfect Duet
- Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
- John Legend – All of Me
- James Arthur – Say You Won’t Let Go
- Ariana Grande – Moonlight
- Jason Mraz – Lucky (feat. Colbie Caillat)
- John Legend – Stay With You
Want to stir up the energy with your first dance? Don’t think twice and choose an upbeat song from our list to go past conventional trends.
- Beyoncé – XO
- Katy Perry – Unconditionally
- Coldplay – A Sky Full Of Stars
- Beyoncé – Love On Top
- James Arthur & Anne-Marie – Rewrite the Stars
- Demi Lovato – Yes
- Ellie Goulding – Love Me Like You Do
- Maroon 5 – Sugar
- Olly Murs – Dance With Me Tonight
- Squirrel Nut Zippers – Put A Lid On It
- Lauv – I Like Me Better
- Lauv – Tattoos Together
Country Songs for First Dance
Country music is one of the most popular choices at many American weddings. The following list includes a combination of the classic and modern country first dance songs that will add a pleasant background to your dance.
- Randy Travis – Forever and Ever, Amen
- Jake Owen – Barefoot Blue Jean Night
- Steve Azar – Lay Your Heart Next To Mine
- Hunter Hayes – Wanted
- Carrie Underwood – What I Never Knew I Always Wanted
If you still can’t decide a song, you might consider the best alternative song options such as:
- Paramore – Still Into You
- Boys Like Girls – The Great Escape
- Boys Like Girls – Be Your Everything
- Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars
- Paramore – The Only Exception
Here is our complete playlist of first dance wedding songs on Spotify:
The first wedding dance is one of the most extraordinary moments of the entire reception. We hope that our carefully selected collection of first dance wedding songs will help reveal the harmony and profound love between you and your spouse.